From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 8:12 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ASCE 7-05 Errors

Mark,
We have called ourselves to task on the issue of commentary.  Development of

commentary is a top priority for the BSSC for this cycle.

There is a lot of review of the provisions.  In spite of our reviews, it was

perceived not to be adequate among the code developers.  The review is
becoming more of a priority and is a paid position.

The code developers are a very conscientious and dedicated group.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: Mark Gilligan <m_k_gilligan(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: RE: ASCE 7-05 Errors Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 01:18:11 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Harold
>
>With all due respect the justification for code
>changes are frequently not clearly documented and the
>documentation is often not availible to the users. All
>too often I am frustrated in my ability to understand
>the reason for a code provision due to the lack of
>documentation.
>
>Code change proposals are often influenced by the
>group dynamic of the committee and reflect political
>compromises.  I have seen this up front.  The process
>by which a committee drafts changes creates the
>conditions which lead to mistakes.
>
>When the "Blue Book" was revised in 1988 an editorial
>committee of 2 to 3 people went over the text to make
>sure it was clear and reflected the intent of the
>committee.
>
>Given that the committee members are typically not
>paid, the lack of proofing the documents has less to
>do with the costs and more to do with where the
>committee decided to focus its efforts.  If the
>leadership of the Committee chair does not understand
>the need for checking it won't happen.
>
>Another tool that showed a potential to help
>understand the logical flaws of standards was the work
>done by Steven Fenves on expressing the AISC code in a
>decision table format.  This work was done about 30
>years ago.

>*
>*
>*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
>*
>*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

Don't miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/