RE: ASCE 7-05 Errors

Harold

Everybody seems to assume that I have no experience in
code development.  My involvement in code development
was back in the 80's when SEAOC wrote the seismic
provisions in the UBC. The 1988 UBC introduced a
number of modern concepts into the building code which
have found their way into the current provisions.  My
views on codes has also been informed by involvement
in local technical committees, and by reviewing and
commenting on code proposals.

Then and now those active in writing codes have been
dedicated, obsessive and opinionated.  These were
often positive attributes.  Most individuals have been
nice people although there were always a few difficult
individuals who were often also nice people.  Never
the less these personalities laid their stamp on the
process.

The lack of documentation has created situations where
plan checkers and others have adopted interpretations
that were at odds with the intentions of the authors
of the code provision.  This has at times been
frustrating since I was in the meeting when the
language was crafted.

In addition the lack of agreement on the basis for the
code provision has made it difficult to change
existing code language that is wrong.  We need
transparency.

Another developing trend is for code writing bodies to
go beyond the public safety focus of building codes
and introduce mandatory provisions that address the
commercial and contractual relations between the
owner/engineer and the sub-contractors.