Re: Lag bolt removal and reinstallation

Theodore-

The removal & re-installation of  these lags, if done with care, should pose no problem with their capacity.....

however it depends on the original installation as well as the current R&R procedure.

Often times in the field lags are installed in the most brutish manner...no pilot holes, wrong sized pilot holes, electric or air impact wrench.

I would suggest that you have the currently  installed lags checked for torque capacity as a QC check on their existing condition...maybe they were installed poorly & are currently stripped out?

In the lab we often R&R'd lags on test samples.....either the SImpson "self-drilling' or convention lags but we were very careful to pilot drill correctly AND not over drive the lag.   It's pretty easy to strip them out it the pilot it too large, the wood too soft or the driver too powerful.

Power driving them until the last 1/2" or so is fine...then an experienced hand on a socket or a wrench can tell whether the installation is sound.

The problem that exists is that you have a steel / wood interface and with too much torque the steel lag can easily power through those wood "threads".

The key is to never over stress that wood / steel interface.........but if you do there are techniques & materials that will allow you to recover.  :)

cheers
Bob