RE: EnerCalc - Retaining Wall Design

From: "Yi Yang" <YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

EnerCalc Users, I noticed that the retaining wall design module in
EnerCalc limits the moment ratio for a retaining wall with concrete stem
to 0.75, if the Mu vs. Mn*Phi goes above 0.75, the program will tell you
that As is less than required.  It doesn't do this for a CMU wall, any
thoughts?

Thanks

Y i   Y a n g, S. E.
Project Manager
Summit Engineering, Inc.
707-527-0775
Santa Rosa, California

I believe that EnerCalc is using the minimum flexural steel provisions of section 10.5.1 of the ACI code. If you do not have the minimum amount of steel then you must provide Mn*Phi = 4/3*Mu. In other words 0.75*Mn*Phi = Mu. If you provide more reinforcing than the minimum per 10.5.1 then you should see the message that As is less than required go away.

Adam Vakiener, P.E.
Structural Engineer
Southern A&E, LLC
Austell, GA