RE: electronic signature

I have this difficulty as well.

I have done a couple things....

1.  I have written many boards in many states to specifically legislate lanquage that the EOR produces 1 set of documents that is signed and copies of those documents can be made as required for bidding, construction, etc.  Idaho has pretty decent laguage regarding this, and many other states should follow suit.

2.  For "ccopies" that the building department requires, I have a notice to client statement (which is placed on the calculations and plans) which says that stamping and signing copies is not the intent of practice laws issued by the states, and that signing and stamping copies is done at the request of the building jurisdiction.   It is clearly something that building departments should not be doing.  I have found clients to be very understanding of this.

At the end of the day, signing and stamping copies, apart from being outside the provisions of the law, is just reflexive and simplistic thinking for building jurisdictions as they are only flexing their policy making muscles.  It produces nothing fruitful and defies common sense, amounting to nothing in the right direction and very much in the wrong, not to mention leads to more errors and problems.

I for one, have a difficult enough time getting the single set of plans, specifications, and calculations that come off my printer and plotter adequately coordinated and accurate without having to certify the veracity of all the copies.

The building department will say they are acting in the best interest of the jurisdiction, at which point I hand them a 100 page 8 1/2 x 11 document, tell them to make 3 copies, and verify that each copy matches the original (no page skip etc.).  I doubt that they have the time or inclination to do so.  The building department needs to fight the fights that need fighting.  Apply the fine tooth comb to major, important projects, and be less scrutinizing of the minor structures and projects. (Which is basically the way the code is written anyway).

Unfortunately, the building department operates under the provisions of the 10th ammendment and there is very little that can be done.  I do know however, that they can be reported to the boards, if they are licensed or registered, for imposing something that violates the practice acts.  It simply depends on how far you are willing to take it.  Most parties are only interested in obtaining a permit and do enough placating to acieve that outcome.

Bart Needham, SE
Principal, nbse associates, inc.
Office 206-780-6822
Office 805-452-8152