Re: Aluminum Lag Bolts

Thanks Bob and Chris!

The project is in San Jose, Ca. The aluminum is not anodized to my knowledge.

I appreciate your help gentlemen!

-gm

On 6/22/07, Robert Kazanjy <rkazanjy(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
Where is the job site? Is the aluminum hardware anodized or just plain?

I do not remember the specification or material exactly but in aerospace apps  using SS fasteners with aluminum "skins" where the anodizing had been machined away (drilling for rivet or countersinking for flat head screw installation)  required the use of a zinc chromate primer ....I'm going from memory of work done in the late 80's

In any case, people have been attaching aluminum objects to other objects (wood, aluminum, SS) for years and most of the time do not spec (like never) aluminum fasteners.

In your particular installation I would suggest you consider good quality heavy hot dipped galvanized steel lag & heavy hot dipped galvanized

OR SS lags with the zinc chromate primer "dance" or a flanged bushing to handle the head & shaft contact.

cheers
Bob