RE: Aluminum Lag Bolts

Use SS Lag screws. We use ss bolts to connect aluminum as a standard.

Bill

From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 9:45 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Aluminum Lag Bolts

Thank You Sasha, I appreciate the info and your time!

-g

On 6/25/07, Alexander (Sasha) Itsekson < sasha(--nospam--at)enginious-structures.com> wrote:
Sorry about the interrupted message.  I don't really know what happened.  As I was saying:

Your situation is fairly common in the construction of aluminum frame skylights and curtain walls.  Granted these connections are not generally directly exposed to the elements, we normally use Grade 2 fasteners to wood and Grade 5 fasteners to steel.  Grade 5 fasteners will exhibit hydrogen embrittlement failures when connecting to aluminum to steel. In your situation it is definitely a good idea to provide for a neoprene washer and caulk all around the connection.  But with the contact bearing being so small and with a good caulking job, the galvanic corrosion should not be a problem.

Alexander (Sasha) Itsekson, SE
Enginious Structures, Inc.

Please note our new address, phone and fax number below:
1904 Franklin Street, Penthouse Suite
Oakland, CA 94612
t. 510.272.9999
f. 510.272.9982