From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:34 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ASCE 7-05 Errors

Maybe someone who has been involved with the development of the 2007 California Building Code can answer this question for me.

Has any of the errors in ASCE 7-05 which have been addressed by the errata made it’s way into the CBC or is it already flawed even before it’s published?

I believe ASCE 7 is adopted by reference, so the errata would be as well. But there are usually some things in the parent code (in this case the IBC 2006 and ASCE 7-05) which get “massaged” for the California version. Those items are the ones I’m most curious (and concerned) about. >From what some of my colleagues who are more enlightened on IBC 2006 and CBC 2007 tell me, the structural section of IBC 2006 is essentially intact in the CBC 2007. However, that remains as hearsay since the CBC won’t hit the streets for at least another week or so.

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers