RE: ASCE 7-05 Errors

Keep in mind that errata are technically only supposed to correct
publishing errors.  In otherwords, the corrected version was actually
approved for use by the committee/group/organization producing the
document but some sort of publishing mistake (typo, misreading, etc) was
responsible for the error.  Thus, the correction is really what the code
committee intended, but that intention go circumvented by something else.

If the code committee discovers a technical flaw (i.e. they want to change
something that they approved due to more information, etc), then those
changes technically should NOT be in the errata, but rather in the next
edition of the code OR some sort of supplement.

The point is that an errata item technically need not be
balloted/approved...it was already approved...an errata item is just
putting things as they should have been in the first place based upon the
approval/voting process.