RE: Architectural Fees for Residential projects

This is an extremely volatile number you are looking for.  There is a very large degree of “involvement” that an Architect could invest time and energy over, so it’s nearly impossible to give you a number that wouldn’t be anything more than a guess.  That said, I’ve designed very simple houses with minimal involvement for as little as about $6-$8/sf (not counting the dreaded “I got a friend of mine that needs just a really simple drawing…blah blah…..” client where I inevitably lose money and gain grey hair ), but for a “total” involvement (whatever that really is) of tricked out design, if someone came to me and said, “Take it from conception to keys to the front door”, the 10% of construction cost is not out of line.

Clear as mud now, eh?

From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Architectural Fees for Residential projects

I’m trying to get a feel for a friend who is an architect from New York and who is licensed in California. I’ve lost track of the fee’s that Architects charge for custom homes (one story – non-tract) in Southern California. It used to be that Architects charged a percentage of construction, but I think that this is no longer the case. I tried to charge on a square foot bases and compared it against a projected 1.5% of construction cost for structural and lost each of the jobs I bid.

For those of you in Southern California (preferably the desert areas - Riverside, San Bernardino and Imperial counties) can you “guestimate” the range of fees that a full service architectural firm will charge with E&O coverage? I don’t care if it is in square foot price or percentage of construction cost – but it should be a full service architectural firm that is specifying all finishes and will participate in construction to coordinate with the contractor and engineers.

Use a one story custom home of about 5,000 square feet as an example. I would appreciate any information those of you who do architecture as well as engineering can share as to your competition and what it takes for residential design fees.

Thanks

Dennis

Checked by AVG Free Edition.