RE: REVIT

Thanks for your comments, Don.

They are consistent with everything I’ve heard about Revit.

You’ve already offered the caveat that you can’t answer interoperability questions, but that’s one of my Big Questions™. As many others, I rely on a floor plan produced by an architect. I attach it to my foundation and framing plans by using the architect’s plan as an XREF. I then draw the structural elements, usually represented by lines (beams, footings, etc.), text (notes and dimensions) and symbols (detail and section bubbles).

When I start to think 3D, I wonder how these files would be exchanged. Is there a Revit equivalent to XREF’ing? It’s not an issue for an AE firm where all disciplines are in-house, but that scenario doesn’t represent the majority of the market, particularly the smaller market.

As it is, I have a difficult time getting my architectural clients to draw to scale, use associative dimensioning only, use color by layer, create blocks on layer 0, etc.  I can only imagine that the nightmare would explode when going to 3D.

What about exchanging files across software platforms? I currently have one client who is quite proficient at ArchiCAD, one who is learning ArchiCAD and another who is comfortable in Revit. ArchiCAD and Microstation export files to AutoCAD. Will these other programs be able to “talk” in the near future?

With regards to analysis software, I haven’t used it myself, so the following comment is based on hearsay, but I believe the analysis module is only really valuable in a practical sense when it comes to steel and concrete buildings. Wood buildings and the hybrids (metal deck over concrete fill supported by masonry or tilt-up concrete walls, etc.) would probably not be able to use this feature. Of course, as always, I could be mistaken.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509