RE: REVIT or (ArchiCad)

You can tailor the display of all elements as fine, medium and course. This means the detail level can be as complex as showing gypsum board and plywood on walls to just two lines. For floor and roof plans, course will give you “stick-like” drawings.

Barry H. Welliver

BHW Engineers L.L.C.

From: Thor Tandy [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: REVIT or (ArchiCad)

I'm test driving Revit Structure at this very moment with a view to purchasing.  One of my ideas was to reduce the need for drafting services - (seasoned) structural drafters are hard to come by at the moment ...

The demo showed that it gloves well with RISA and the home page shows viable connection with a couple of other analysis programs.  Have only just started testing and it's too early to say if it suits my needs.  I have asked RISA if they know of any issues to consider.  A couple of local peers I spoke to are using it but some of the comment was that Revit is too "real" (?).  I.e. draws pictorially rather than stick-like, which many prefer for economy of drawing.  For me it might be OK because I'm a, "how about", or "what if", or "hang on, there's not enough detail here!", kinda injaneer .. ie the train sometimes has trouble reaching the station ... :^)

Interaction with others using it on the ground would be grand.

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, MIStructE, Struct Eng

Victoria, BC

Canada

vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net