From: Donald Bruckman [mailto:bruckmandesign(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: REVIT

I think I paid about $2400 or something like that to upgrade to both a
Revit
and ACAD dual license, and it costs about $7-800 a year for the
subscription.

IMO, LT probably makes sense over ADT if you aren't moving up to Revit.
When I did structural drawings in ADT on my own stuff, I used mostly
ACAD
commands anyway.  I got very little out of ADT on the structural side of
things.

Revit, OTOH, has everything integrated into the model, so you very
quickly
figure out where things are and can cut sections and details,
(theoretically) on the fly in real time.  There is even a cross-check
between disciplines that I can use to ensure the HVAC guy didn't run a
duct
through your beam or shear wall. (This they've told me.  I've yet to see
it
for real).  I will say that I get the distinct notion (from nowhere in
particular, but just one of those gut feelings) that the
interoperability of
Revit across disciplines may be a bit shaky yet. They seem to be
spending
too much time talking about it and issuing new versions, so perhaps it's
not
quite ready for prime time.

I will say this about REVIT.  The automatic cross-referencing and
scheduling
alone is worth the money.

Don B