RE: REVIT

I recently went through this transfer of license from LT to ADT when they had a special offer at the end of last year.  I was amazed how detailed of a record Autodesk has.  They knew what company bought the 2000i LT software and who the person of registration was, me.  They knew my upgrade to 2004 LT was to a different company even though it was still in my name, and they knew it was an educational version.  This was something I didn’t know.  Apparently the reseller had torn off the educational version notice when they sold me the 2004 LT upgrade under the guise of a full version.  Because of this history, it took me 2 months to straighten out my license due to company ownership and Ed version so I could upgrade to ADT.

You may be able to sell software to someone else in the ‘gray market’, but they will find it extremely difficult to upgrade the license under another name.

Rich

From: Donald Bruckman [mailto:bruckmandesign(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:53 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: REVIT

Last time I spoke to my ADesk rep about this sort of thing, I got the distinct impression of, “Why are you asking me this?” coming through the phone; that bespeaking a sort of informal “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy in regard to where the old software goes. (which all will, I expect, firmly and assuredly deny if asked).  But back in the day, say, V11 or V12 of ACAD, they used to make you turn in the old software disks prior to getting the new one.  That stopped at V13 or V14. So, what does that tell you?

So, while they profess immaculate governance over all their software, the truth seems to be that older versions aren’t worth the effort to police.