To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: Document Control Systems - Suggestions Requested

In my experience the most consistent and best
maintained filing systems have been maintained by a
clerk as opposed to making the project engineer
responsible.  If the filing system is ket simple a
clerk should have little problem figuring out what
correspondence goes with what project even if you do
not write the job number on it.

The challange is how to capture all of the relevant
e-mails. I am not sure there is a good way to deal
with this.

At one firm they had a day-file system whereby a copy
of all correspondence was put into a file for the
project manager to review before it went into the
project files.  This was simple and allowed the PM to
keep informed of all discussions with the client.