From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Disastrous Interview

Education is certainly an interesting topic. I've seen both ends of the
spectrum - and much of the middle - coming out of school, and the
results are all over the place. The credit hours have been creeping up
bit by bit, and several schools are considering 5 year BS programs in
engineering - oddly enough, to account for the number of credit hours in
non-engineering subjects. Just (just?!?) 20 years ago when I was an
undergrad, engineers had the highest minimum number of credits for  4
year BS of any discipline, and since then they've added language and
liberal arts classes into the core curriculum.

Unfortunately, a MS graduate isn't worth much more in an office than a
BS graduate when you look at a fresh out engineer. I'm convinced you
have to go play for a while before you come back for advanced degrees.
Not only do you know what you really want/need in coursework, but the
information means more than making sure you know what's on the next
test. You also have the time to forget some of the basics, which means
re-learning them from a new perspective.

Jordan