Re: Disastrous Interview

Could not have said it better myself....Guess us guys that didn't go to
school back in the 60's think alike....thanks for saving me the typing ;-)

Rand

             "Jordan
             Truesdell, PE"
             <seaint1@truesdel                                          To
             lengineering.com>         seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                                                                        cc
             07/05/2007 12:46
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: Disastrous Interview

             Please respond to
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

Education is certainly an interesting topic. I've seen both ends of the
spectrum - and much of the middle - coming out of school, and the
results are all over the place. The credit hours have been creeping up
bit by bit, and several schools are considering 5 year BS programs in
engineering - oddly enough, to account for the number of credit hours in
non-engineering subjects. Just (just?!?) 20 years ago when I was an
undergrad, engineers had the highest minimum number of credits for  4
year BS of any discipline, and since then they've added language and
liberal arts classes into the core curriculum.

Unfortunately, a MS graduate isn't worth much more in an office than a
BS graduate when you look at a fresh out engineer. I'm convinced you
have to go play for a while before you come back for advanced degrees.
Not only do you know what you really want/need in coursework, but the
information means more than making sure you know what's on the next
test. You also have the time to forget some of the basics, which means
re-learning them from a new perspective.

Jordan