Re: View proposed ACI 318 revisions

On Jul 6, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Garner, Robert wrote:

With Codes becoming available electronically, how about a consortium of a group of engineers that collectively buy and "share" the codes electronically. Only one engineer could view any one of the codes at a time but with a good share schedule set up, it might work. As it is now, the AWS code is not in my budget so I can't see it anytime. Being able to at least see it between 4:00 and 6:00 pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays is better than nothing. Sort of a Code "time share".
I think this is a damn good idea. Something like it might be a reason to keep up membership in technical societies. I don't know how the ASCE or the ACI fares these days, but the ASME is falling on increasingly harder times, primarily because there's fewer reasons to belong. Students flock in because it looks good on a resume and the dues aren't very high, but membership by experienced engineers tapers off really fast, except for dyed-in-the-wool joiners.

One of the things they should do is offer on-line Code access to members as a perk of membership. Full purchase of all umpteen volumes of the Boiler Code is close to $2000. and the codes are re-issued every 3 years. There are good reasons for some people to have personal copies, but many of us can't possibly justify 2 grand every three years on the off chance that we might need something in some obscure section. The ASME, like every other society, makes pretty good money in the publishing business, but they need to look further than the end of their collective noses when it comes to member benefits. Code access, even limited to so many log-ons a month, would be a good one.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/