Re: View proposed ACI 318 revisions

Title: Re: View proposed ACI 318 revisions
Bill,

I think what you said here applies without sarcasm to the new Masonry code, which in my opinion
was purely a change for the sake of change. As an example, the code writers in their infinite wisdom
decided to come up with a new stress block distribution, thus rendering all these nifty tables
for flexural coefficients that were used successfully for umpteenth years useless.
All this because it is more "accurate" (It varies by about three percent from the current code).
I can take any one of these geniuses to a job site and show them section depths to rebar
that varies by fifty percent, and lets see which has more impact on Masonry design

unfrieking believable

Tarek Mokhtar, SE
Laguna Beach, CA

Bill-
[sarcasm on]
How are those poor professors under their "publish or perish systems" going to survive if they don't have a frequent forum to harrass us poor working stiffs by proposing changes to codes that provide little or no additional safety, reliability or other benefit but provide additional codes checks that must be done for the same fee?
[sarcasm off]
Regards,
Bill Cain SE
Berkeley CA