RE: Code Distribution Cost (was RE: View proposed ACI 318 revisions)

Don't get anyone started on problems with the medical delivery system in
this country.  While their codes may have a part in it, I doubt it is a
major contributor.

Here's an approach that might work.  What if anyone that wanted to use these
codes bought into a global, all encompassing service that allowed total
access to all the codes.

That way, on the rare occasion that I actually would need to read some
obscure ASTM or ASCE standard, I'd simply log on and go to the search tool.
Why should I have to belong to 55 different organizations to get access to
the tools of my trade, some of which I will use maybe a dozen times in an
entire career?  This is particularly true for us architects since we design
buildings with a wide variety of uses, from apartments to restaurants, all
of which use different codes.

There could be architecture package subscriptions, structural packages, etc.
sort of like an HBO package on TV.  That way, all this errata discussion
this board had last week just vaporizes since the code is on a central
server that can be updated at any time by the authors much like any software
patch.

Imagine this.  Log onto your subscription, tell the server the location of
your project, size, type, etc. and the system automatically loads relevant
codes as well as all the local annotations to the model code; automatically
loads the seismic proximity constants, fire dept requirements, health
department annotations,...the list could be endless of how you could tailor
the thing.

But NO,  I have to drive to a bookstore and buy the dang thing like it was
the latest novel from Stephen King.  How 20th century can you get?