From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca]
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2007 8:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: View proposed ACI 318 revisions

I know I have said this before but perhaps you should look at the
Canadian model.  The National Building Code is written by the The
National Research Council's (an independent creation of the government)
Institute for Research in Construction, and is up-dated every *five*
years.  It is then adopted into law by the provinces with or without
additions and/or changes.  The various standards (steel, concrete, wood,
etc) then follow that time period and some of the various trade
organizations will even comment on whether the changes are significant
or not, so you can decide whether to wait another 5 years.  I know a
couple of guys operating with codes that are 20 years old - too chancey
for me.  I think if you were to get together, you might influence some
changes (you can dream).
Gary