RE: Code Distribution Cost (was RE: View proposed ACI 318 revisions)

First of all, I don't have much of a problem with the system that is in
place right now.  It is all the people that complain about the cost that
seem to think that there is a better way.

Second, I would argue it is more than just a business model.  And I would
disagree...the government does NOT write their own codes...they write their
own LAWS that then adopt codes that are written by private organizations.
There is a difference.  If the government actually wrote the codes, then the
government could fund that process and the code could be distributed "free"
(not really...we would just pay for it a different way...a little thing
called taxes...but on the "positive" side, the taxes would be spread out to
everyone not just people using the codes...unless they go with "use taxes").

Now, you can argue that the private organizations use a business model in
terms of how they fund the code development and publishing process.  That
business model is largely a function of people having to pay for the codes
and to some degree they might pay more for the codes than just the code
writing/publishing itself might require so that those organizations can fund
their other operations....right or wrong...good or bad.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI