From: Donald Bruckman [mailto:bruckmandesign(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2007 10:45 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Code Distribution Cost (was RE: View proposed ACI 318
revisions)

Don't get anyone started on problems with the medical delivery system in
this country.  While their codes may have a part in it, I doubt it is a
major contributor.

Here's an approach that might work.  What if anyone that wanted to use
these codes bought into a global, all encompassing service that allowed
total access to all the codes.

That way, on the rare occasion that I actually would need to read some
obscure ASTM or ASCE standard, I'd simply log on and go to the search
tool.
Why should I have to belong to 55 different organizations to get access
to the tools of my trade, some of which I will use maybe a dozen times
in an entire career?  This is particularly true for us architects since
we design buildings with a wide variety of uses, from apartments to
restaurants, all of which use different codes.

There could be architecture package subscriptions, structural packages,
etc.
sort of like an HBO package on TV.  That way, all this errata discussion
this board had last week just vaporizes since the code is on a central
server that can be updated at any time by the authors much like any
software patch.

Imagine this.  Log onto your subscription, tell the server the location
of your project, size, type, etc. and the system automatically loads
relevant codes as well as all the local annotations to the model code;
automatically loads the seismic proximity constants, fire dept
requirements, health department annotations,...the list could be endless
of how you could tailor the thing.

But NO,  I have to drive to a bookstore and buy the dang thing like it
was the latest novel from Stephen King.  How 20th century can you get?