Re: SE Education

Although I do agree that the total credit hours should not be reduced, I do disagree that just because someone obtains their M.S.C.E. that they will be a "better" engineer. I realize that you did not say obtaining a masters will make a better engineer, rather it was implied in the context of your statements.

First you must quantify what better is. Is one engineer better because they know all the theory behind very advanced seismic analysis or vibration analysis, or is a better engineer one who knows  practical as well as cost effective engineering?

No classroom experience will ever be equal to real world experience where you have to interact with contractors, homeowners and architects, as well as provide practical cost effective solutions to real world problems.

I also noticed that you mentioned environmental consciousness, which came across as some type of nonsense. Up to now many of the baby boomer generation which have been at the helm have disregarded environmental quality. Maybe if they were not as concerned with the almighty dollar and a little more concerned with environmental quality then this world would not have as many of the environmental problems as it does today.

Just my 2 cents worth.