Re: SE Education

You reminded me of a graduate student who contacted me for information on crane runways for his project or thesis. The part he sent me had a lot of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. When I pointed these out to him, he stated he did not feel he should have to waste time in English classes. I think that your success as an engineer is attributable to your ability to communicate your ideas to others. Whether you get that specific education in high school or university, you still need it and I don't think some limited liberal arts is going to hurt anybody. The real education in engineering starts after you graduate.
Gary

Stan Caldwell wrote:

To make matters worse, the bleeding hearts in our society have come along and demanded that a big chunk of those 120-124 hours must be spent on liberal arts subjects, such as diversity and environmental consciousness. Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE, F.AEI
ASCE Technical Region Director
Halff Associates Vice President
... Soggy in Dallas ...