Problems with software installation in Vista OS.

Hi,

I just wanted to pass along a tip that I learned the hard way. Most software installations seem to go along just fine, but occasionally a software is copy protected and generates a machine code that requires an unlocking key. I ran into this problem most recently with CSC’s TEDDS version 10.0 for Office 2007 and working in the Vista operating system.

There is a way around this and I suspect that the same solution can be used for other software installation problems that do not seem to work well within Vista. First let me cover two issues:

1.       Right Clicking on the shortcut or application file still allows you to use “Compatibility mode” in case there is a problem installing a program written during XP on a system that is now running Vista.

2.       You can also choose to run a shortcut, application or setup feature for new software using the “Run as Administrator” choice that comes with the context sensitive right click. HOWEVER, be aware that this alone does not solve the specific problem with TEDDS and some other software I installed.

3.       Vista has a Security feature called “User Account Code” It is found in the Windows Security Center listed on the right side of the screen under “Other Security  Settings.” There are two settings, one for Internet Security and the last for User Account Control. You can restore a setting if it is turned off from this screen but you cannot turn it off here.

4.       To turn off the setting, you must co to the Control Panel and click on the heading “User Accounts and Family Safety.”  The first choice is User Accounts – CLICK ON THE HEADING “USER ACCOUNTS.”

5.       At the bottom right on the next screen is the “Turn User Account Control on or off” – Click on this and make sure it is turned off before you install new software. This is also assuming that if you are installing software to your machine you have administrator rights to install software which is rather foreign to us to are not on a network. In most cases a standalone system will have a user with administrator access and a “guest user” that does not. Any other way of setting up the system has to be done consciously.

6.       After turning off the User Account Control you need to reboot and install your software, then repeat the above steps to turn the UAC back on.

This is not a feature that Vista really point you to when installing software. However, I learned from screwing up my own system a few times that it is a small feature with very important repercussions when setting up software to work together properly or over a LAN.

Hope this helps for those who may be running into some frustration.

Dennis