Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:13 AM
Subject: Re: Why?

Michel,

That was a great looking picture.
Is it real?
Or fake?

If real, I wonder what will be the experience those at the extreme ends of the cantilever when there are mild seismic tremors or under the action of strong winds.

Even if  a few of us go to the roof and practice jogging, will the glass in the window frames rattle?

Occupants in this building  must have been given lessons in bravery and taught to dismiss deflections and vibrations with contempt and even been persuaded to actually enjoy them.

This picture is going to create a lot of problems for engineers who battle technologists (while designing Industrial buildings) and architects.
We, structural engineers, are notorious for making unreasonable demands for space for supports like ugly columns, braces, etc when they are not really necessary as this picturre clearly proves.

Now any amount of cantilevering is okay!!
You can't design it with such an alarming cantilever?
Okay, make way for those who can!!

Regards
Vish

The fish are biting.