RE: Proposed ACI 318 revisions >> Additions >> Cyclic loaded Racking Shear Testing Protocal

Title: Message
From what I understand, the issue is not about the lack of a testing protocol's per se.  There are testing protocols.  The issue is a way to determine an appropriate R value for those seismic systems.  Since the current process in code development for determining R values is largely a political, back room type process rather than based upon logical and analytical methods, it is unclear to the ICC-ES folks how to establish an R value for these non-standard, innovative systems.  So, I believe the ATC-63 process is working on a more standardized, analytical process to determine R values for use by the codes for traditional systems and by the ICC-ES folks for non-standard, innovative systems.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Chatterley PE [mailto:cfs2000(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 11:51 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: Ward.Malisch(--nospam--at)concrete.org; Carla Yland; Brian Gerber
Subject: RE: Proposed ACI 318 revisions >> Additions >> Cyclic loaded Racking Shear Testing Protocal

Gentlemen,
    I propose an appendix be included that will provided an applicable testing protocol for racking shear (cyclic loaded) shear wall assemblies.  During the June 6, 2007, International Code Council Public hearings for Acceptance Criteria AC-15, (Concrete Floor, Roof and Wall Systems and Concrete Masonry wall systems) we learned that even though it has been used since 1987, the ICC board of directors voted to limit AC-15 testing to light to moderate seismic and wind lateral force regions.
    We also learned from the ICC engineering committee at the meeting that certain FEMA engineering committees have been assigned to make their recommendations for the past year (FEMA ATC-63 committee.)  As of this date we are aware of any published recommendations.
    Since there are number of innovative  shear wall assemblies that require design in accordance with the ACI -318 codes >> Per the IBC 2006 >> it will be important to establish an acceptable testing protocol.  Some of the innovative concrete / masonry assemblies include >> ICF - Insulated Concrete Formed walls; Precast concrete sandwich walls;  Foam Core /  Concrete Veneer Bearing Walls ( Thin shell concrete veneer wall assemblies - shotcrete applied concrete veneer over 3-D wire truss assembly);  Cemtatious concrete panels - adhered to EPS Foam (SIPS Panels) and various lightweight structural masonry assemblies (RASTA)
    Since many of the building and safety departments rely on the ICC Evaluation reports for applicable applications based upon 3rd party testing >> a timely agreement for the racking shear testing and evaluation will be most important>>
    Since the June 2007 ICC meetings all testing and renewal of the ICC Evaluation Reports is "ON-HOLD"
Thank you,
Jim L. Chatterley PE
Composite Framing Systems, Inc.
2723 Currier Ave., Simi Valley, California, 93065
805-520-3666   Fax 805-583-1434
www.Compositeframingsystems.com