RE: Story shear for ramps; ramps as braces?

This is an issue that is frequently overlooked.  You are right, the stiffness of the ramp is a problem in seismic design of ramped structures such as parking structures.  The best treatment I have seen on this topic is a paper written by the team at Watry Design, Inc. and printed in the PTI journal.  It is titled "Seismic Analysis and Design of Ramped Parking Structures" by John Purinton and several others, 2003.  Watry incorporates special detailing in their structures to ensure that the load is more likely to go where it is intended to go.

Buckling Restrained Braces, anyone?

Kimberley Robinson, PE

ph:435-940-9222

cell:801-783-7706