RE: Story shear for ramps; ramps as braces?

            Anantha,

                        We assume half the ramp mass goes to the story above and half goes to the story below for our jointed precast concrete parking structures. And we do not take any credit for the ramp acting as a brace. The ELF method is conservative, so I think this assumption is OK. We build in the MidAtlantic so this has never been tested by a large earthquake, but it seems to be the way most people approach it. If you are doing a full ETABS analysis, that should answer your question.

            HTH,

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Concrete Engineer

            Winchester, Virginia