From: Andy Heigley [mailto:aheigley(--nospam--at)jgaeng.com]
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 9:32 AM
To: Seaint
Subject: Wood interior wall studs

Hello all:

I just want to get some feedback from other engineers about designing
interior load-bearing wood wall studs.  When designing the walls, I normally
check two load combinations:

1)    DL + LL +LLr
2)    DL +0.75LL + 0.75LLr + 0.75W (with W = 5.0 psf interior horizontal
partition load; I typically use a Cd=1.0 if I am just supporting floor live
and dead load.  And a Cd=1.15 when carrying roof loads in addition to the
floor live and dead loads.  I think the use of Cd=1.6 seems less conservative
when you are dealing with large axial loads, particularly in a multi-story
buildng.)

A contractor is battling me over some stud sizes b/c the stud height is about
10'-0" and for 2x4's once you add the horizontal loading, in the second
combination above, it significantly reduces the axial capacity.  His engineer
doesn't check the second loading listed above.

I just want to get some other people's opinion on what they check in your own
design.

Thanks,

Andrew Heigley, PE