RE: STEEL FAB: QA/QC Procedures

I would start with all the AWS requirements - Welding Procedures Specifications for all welds, current welders certificates, that sort of thing.  If your client is the erector, I would get his input on fabrication tolerances since he has to put it all together.  Would he like to see some shop pre-assembly of any of the work to make sure it will go together in the field?

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 12:29 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: STEEL FAB: QA/QC Procedures

Has anyone got any sort of information about reasonable and necessary requirements for Quality Assurance for steel fabrication?

I've got a "mandated" steel fab shop I'm having to deal with that does not have an AISC Certified Quality Management System. (It's like that Hertz commercial where "it's Hertz, or 'not exactly'").

Please spare me the "forget it, use an AISC Certified shop" comments. If I had the power, I'd do that (and give myself a 15% raise too, while I'm thinking about it). But the job WILL go forward with this fabricator, and so I have to figure out what the **** to require in order to meet some semblance of QA.

FWIW, my client is the erector as well as the GC for this project.

Any WORTHWHILE comments will be much appreciated.