Re: STEEL FAB: QA/QC Procedures

I'd start by visiting the AISC web site and look through their requirements for a fab shop to be certified.  http://www.qmconline.com/Code/Resources/Index.htm

It is not a short list but includes quality processes from ordering to storage through fabrication and special inspections.  I guess a bare bones starting point would be 'how do I know this the specified steel' and welder qualifications, procedures and INDEPENDENT inspection program.

Good luck.  Just went through this with a contractor and by the time all the additional requirements were stacked on to his job, it was cheaper to take the 2nd bid from the certified shop and the contractor had to eat the $400,000 cost differential.  No one wins in this situation as now the contractor is in the hole and really digging for extras.

Paul.