RE: Wood interior wall studs

For solid sawn columns, Le/d shall not exceed 75, comes from NDS section 3.7.1.4, I am looking at the 2005 edition.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Bruckman [mailto:bruckmandesign(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 2:25 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Wood interior wall studs

The code limits l/d during construction?   Whoa….where is that found?

I don't recommend a loadbearing wall of 10' in height be made of 2x4s. Why? Because the walls will not be sheathed before the floor joists are set into place. The code limits the L/d ratio to 75 for construction, and a 10' 2x4 has an L/d of 80. The contractor cannot build the wall unless he plans on bracing every stud without violating the code.