RE: Story shear for ramps; ramps as braces?

  Anantha,
Since I use the approximate building period equations in the Code, ignoring ramp stiffness does not change the building stiffness nor period. Pretty low-tech, I guess. However, we build shearwall structures, which tend to be pretty stiff. The articles I've read indicate that the jointed precast diaphragms are much less stiff than shearwalls. So ignoring the ramp still does not seem like a poor model. What you say makes sense. I'm not sure how much base shear a SOG could reliably deliver to the soil, but the load path in your description may be cumbersome.
  HTH,
  Jim