Re: STEEL FAB: QA/QC Procedures

On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:07 AM, Bill Polhemus wrote:

shop capacity--but I'll be darned if I can identify any internal QA/ QC written requirements!

BIG problem.
Damn right. Unless you have workmanship specifics spelled out on your drawing and spec package, you'll be in the position of accepting whatever you get, based on the timeless excuses--'we've been doing it for years and never had a problem,' and 'the drawings didn't say anything.' Leaving the QA up to the fabricator without any sort of agreement on what's proper leaves the ball in your court.

One way to handle it is to reserve the right to inspect any detail and reject unsatisfactory workmanship or suspect material as you see fit. When the fabricator recovers, he might be a little more amenable to working things out using, say, the AISC rules as a referee.

What you might want to try is to start your fabricator thinking about the problems by imposing requirements like inspecting specific critical joints which you designate and having the first couple done with a witness you designate. It'll mean that you both have to work together on it, which may be of some help. You should also get copies of weld procedures and designate the procedures in the weldment drawings in the tail of the arrow. You might want to witness those as well. I'd be very concerned with housekeeping and workmanship for welded joints.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/