Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Residential Engineering Review/Coordination Process

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
This is the typical engineering performed in south and western Virginia. Since plans are not required to be designed by an engineer (90mph wind, Seismic C), we only get the ones which are either (a) so amazingly beyond the prescriptive code that a cursory glance by the AHJ is enough to flag the design or (b) the builder is concerned that it's beyond his ability and wants help.  As a result, we usually do partial plans to cover wind and seismic (which rarely controls), and occasionally will do a full framing plan.  We do full framing for all the log and timber frame structures we get, since there's no prescriptive available - though only 2 or 3 of the 10 "close" jurisdictions even require designs for timber or log homes.

There are no reviews of the structural plans (for structural calcs or load continuity - code compliance only) at the building departments for residential. Actually, there are no reviews for commercial either. It's a bit like a tight wire without a net. As much as I don't like the review process for state jobs (where a structural - or at least civil - PE reviews all documents and provides comments), it's kind of nice to have another set of eyes look over the drawings before they start placing concrete.

As time goes on, more jurisdictions are enforcing the code. Of course for the contractors this looks like the building departments are being difficult and costing them money. In reality they simply have not been enforcing the code and the change to actual enforcement has shaken their normal method of operation. 

mail wrote:

I work for a small engineering firm in coastal South Carolina (high wind 110mph-130mph and seismic zone D0-D2 zones).We do primarily wood-frame residential work. Over the past few years, I have become a frustrated with the state of engineering particularly as it applies to residential engineering. I believe that most of the engineers on this mailing list are in California (Although I would love to hear from other states also). It seems from the posts on this list that the residential engineering in California is more regulated than elsewhere and that the building official is more involved in the “review” process or at least has more of a presence in the process than in other locations. I am actually curious what the process is for residential engineering in other locations in regards to meetings with clients (how frequently), coordination of components (trusses, EWP’s…), special inspections, permit review…


To give you an idea of what I am accustomed to in our practice:

  1. Contractor/Homeowner brings in a set of architectural plans
  2. Depending on the complexity of the structure, we may or may not require framing plans from the truss manuf.
    1. Option 1: Contractor provides truss framing plans: This usually takes a few weeks, because no one plans ahead of time and when they bring us the plans they want the structural drawings as quickly as possible. We have also had the case where a truss manuf provides a set of truss calcs and a layout for quote purposes and we do our design by that only to find out that the customer purchased trusses from a separate manuf, who used a different configuration.
    2. Option 2: We provide truss framing plans or “stick” framing plans. This option is good because we have flexibility in our overall design, but the coordination is not carried thru. With truss framing plans, it is left up to the customer to communicate to the truss designer the need to adhere to our layouts. I don’t think this is done too often, because it is pretty common to give out the architectural drawings to the engineer, component suppliers, subs all at one time. If it is “stick” framed, we have found that whether or not the customer follows the framing plan, the residential inspectors are not equipped to review it in the field.
  3. Whether we have truss designs provided or come up with framing plans, we generally “fully engineer” the structure according to the IBC (another discussion for another day is whether this is an accurate description, to me it is really a hybrid prescriptive/engineered design). Our drawings usually include a foundation plan with shearwall holddown sizes and locations, framing plans with any notes pertinent to gravity loads or lateral loads, and a sheet of standard details modified slightly for each job. (Ocassionaly we will include building sections if needed)
  4. The plans are usually provided to the customer (this is the only other “meeting” other than the initial plan “drop off”) and if there is anything really out the ordinary (Simpson steel shear wall, APA portal frame detail…) we try to flag it to the customer. The customer is responsible for coordinating any products and components that are needed or may be unique to his design.
  5. Customer then submits plans to building department along with architectural drawings and plat for a permit. Then the standard inspections apply for the different phases of construction. We have never done any special inspections and we typically do designs for anywhere from a one story 1200sf slab on grade residence to a 5000sf 2-story residence on piles.


The local jurisdiction where most of our work is located requires the following: “plans drawn to scale with wind and seismic design per 2003 IRC (with original SC engineer or architect seal)”. Point being the building department is not very concerned with the engineer being a part of the design team as in commercial work, but rather they are simply facilitating the idea that engineers simply “stamp” plans for a couple hundred bucks. Anyway that is also another discussion for another day. Today, I am just looking for the process that most of you engineers go thru for residential engineering/coordination in your area. Thanks.


******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********