From: Mauricio Castro <rico355(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 7:27 am
Subject: Maximum Moments in Beams

I am currently revising the structure of the floor of a building to make sure that the old beams will manage to carry an increase in dead load of about 7/5 of the current load. I calculated the new maximum moments and compared them to the maximum moments allowed by the beam (Using my 13th edition AISC steel construction manual).
I am getting maximum moments of about 8 kip-ft and according to the manual these beams (12 B 16.5 which are supposed to be W12x16) should resist moments up to 75.4 kip-ft. This is a noticeable difference which makes me thing that either the beam highly safe or the calculations wrong. I haven't considered safety factors yet, but even then, the safety factor would be too high. The floor is the top floor and practically only carries the weight of a reactor (around 13kips) and unfortunately the only plans are the layouts of the beams.

Does this difference in maximum moments sound right?

Mauricio Castro
Civil Engineering Student
LSU

Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN. ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********