Subject: Masonry lap length

From: "Friis, Donna" <FriisDL(--nospam--at)cdm.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

>Adam,
>I am interested to know what masonry cover you use for bond beam corner
>bars or vertical filled cells with 2 bars (1EF). It seems like the K
>value would be quite low say 2" and hence the lap length very long
>(since our value it is divided by K.) Or am I missing something?

>Donna

Donna,

I have found that the capacities are so much higher using strength design that I can almost always use just one bar in the center. You are correct that if the bars have 2" cover then the lap lengths get much larger. Usually, to the point where I specify rebar couplers. I have only been using strength design for a few weeks so I am sure I will run into some other problems, but so far it is working out well.

As far as the long lap lengths with low cover amounts, that is a problem I have been dealing with since we implemented the 2000 IBC (as it used the same lap length formula for both ASD and strength design).

--

Adam Vakiener, P.E.
Structural Engineer