Re: Out of Plane shearwall Loading

In the UBC, you have to design your studs for out-of-plane loads to Section 1622 - Elements and Components of Structures,   In ASCE 7-05, it is section 6.5.12.4, Components and cladding.

You check for deflection of the studs and whether they are compatible with the exterior finish material.  If it is 3-coat stucco this would be L/360.   If it is 1-coat stucco, you should be reviewing the particular ICBO report for the system being used.   You should also be checking for the vertical load and the wind load together.

Neil Moore, SE, SECB
neil moore and associates
consulting structural engineers
shingle springs, california