Notched Beam

Dear Fellow Engineers,
On an ongoing renovation project I observed the
following framing detail:

A 12? deep PSL beam is supported by a W12-72 I-beam,
with the top of the PSL some 7? above the top of the
I-beam.  The builder notched the end of the PSL to
?fit? past the top flange (plus 2by nailer) and extend
to the web of the I-beam.  The notch is about 7? from
the top of the PSL and 2? wide and 6? long. The bottom
of the PSL is blocked to the bottom flange.

I calculate that PSL shear stress is about twice the
allowed by assuming the notch extends to the bottom of
the beam.

Before I advise the owner to replace the PSLs (there
are 4) am I missing something or is there is a way to
reinforce them?

TIA,
Irv

http://tv.yahoo.com/