Re: Notched Beam

Irv,
I gather from what you have descibed that the notch effect is really on the top, as you are saying that the "bottom of the PSL is blocked to the bottom flange". I can't comment on what your codes require, but the Canadian wood code is mostly concerned with notches in the bottom portion of the beam or joist. If you have bottom bearing, then it may not be a big concern, but perhaps some other lister familiar with the US requirements can comment. About a year ago, I was requested to look at a building approx 40 years old that had wood roof trusses with the bottom chord on one end extended approx 8"-12" so that it acted as a short cantilever. Some of these had been notched on the bottom and almost all of them had cracks starting at the notch and extending past the top chord-bottom chord intersection. I told the Owner they were a real problem and he said leave it with him-never heard from him. I think I would probably have had the pertinent trusses jacked up and screws inserted in to the split pieces from the bottom, and also I would have nailed on new lumber on each side of the bottom chord.
Gary

IRV FRUCHTMAN wrote:
Dear Fellow Engineers,
On an ongoing renovation project I observed the
following framing detail:
A 12” deep PSL beam is supported by a W12-72 I-beam,
with the top of the PSL some 7” above the top of the
I-beam.  The builder notched the end of the PSL to
“fit” past the top flange (plus 2by nailer) and extend
to the web of the I-beam.  The notch is about 7” from
the top of the PSL and 2” wide and 6” long. The bottom
of the PSL is blocked to the bottom flange.
I calculate that PSL shear stress is about twice the
allowed by assuming the notch extends to the bottom of
the beam.
Before I advise the owner to replace the PSLs (there
are 4) am I missing something or is there is a way to
reinforce them?
TIA,
Irv

____________________________________________________________________________________Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV. http://tv.yahoo.com/