Re: Rigid diaphragm with framed shear walls and concrete shear

From: "Jeff Hedman" <jeff_h(--nospam--at)lrpope.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Rigid diaphragm with framed shear walls and concrete shear walls

Jeff,

I have not done combined concrete shear walls with light gage steel shear walls, but your results sound reasonable. I agree with Gerard that it does not sound like a good idea due to the extreme difference in rigidities.

I have done several buildings combining reinforced masonry shear walls with concrete basement walls and wind up with a similar problem. One suggestion that I have is to put some vertical joints in the concrete wall to make into shorter less stiff sections. For a wall of that length you probably need some joints anyway. Just detail them such that no shear or moment can transfer across the joint.

Alternatively, can you find a way to keep the diaphragm from imparting any load into the concrete wall. This would allow you to use only the light gage steel walls.

--

Adam Vakiener, P.E.
Structural Engineer