Re: Seismic PE Review

Thanks, Scott, good to hear the other side of the story.

Ralph

In a message dated 8/19/07 9:30:58 PM, smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu writes:
Oh, I dunno...the basic principles are the same...it is just the specifics of figuring out the seismic load coefficient to some degree (OK, so I am rather over simplifying to a large degree).  Point is that it is what is in force and what those EITs have been using for the past 2 or more years while getting their experience.  Personally, if I were in their shoes, I would prefer to take it with the UBC as I would be MUCH more familiar with it than the IBC if I were practicing in California.  As a case in point, when I re-took the Struct III exam in Washington, they had just adopted a version of the IBC, but you could still choose to use the 1997 UBC when taking the Struct III test if you wanted.  I choose to use the UBC rather than the IBC because I was more familiar with it.  Similarly, when I took the Struct II in Illinois years ago, I had the choice between the BOCA code and the UBC.  I choose to use the BOCA code at that time because I was more familiar with it than the UBC.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

-----Original Message-----
From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:47 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Seismic PE Review

What's wrong with this picture?

Isn't the UBC dying in less than six months?

I suppose they're using the UBC because the test is based on the UBC.

It must be frustrating to have to study and be tested on a dying code, knowing you'll have to learn a new one the next month.

Again, what's wrong with this picture?

Ralph Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA