RE: 10"-12" diameter steel Pile embedement

The 6" embedment is a rule of thumb for gravity-loaded piles. Our firm has used steel pipe piles on several projects, and we typically use the 6" embedment rule.

An earlier response also mentioned "punching" shear, which along with bearing stress on the pipe pile are more important design parameters than the embedment depth.

I agree with placing the reinforcing steel 3" above the pile termination.

Good luck.

Jay Kleven, P.E. (ND, MN, IA, NV, MT, TN, KS, IL-Civil)
Partner, Structural/Civil Engineer
EAPC Architects and Engineers
3100 DeMers Avenue, Grand Forks, ND 58201
Direct 701-775-3006
Main 701-775-5507
Fax 701-772-3605
Email jkleven(--nospam--at)eapc.net