RE: 10"-12" diameter steel Pile embedement

Jay,

Thanks for the input. This hesitation won’t come up if I am using a concrete pile which I always have 6” + 3”. Now that this provision still applicable with a steel pipe then so be it. It’s nice to have 2 or more brain than one. Thank you once a gain.

Julius

From: Jay Kleven [mailto:JKleven(--nospam--at)eapc.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: 10"-12" diameter steel Pile embedement

The 6" embedment is a rule of thumb for gravity-loaded piles. Our firm has used steel pipe piles on several projects, and we typically use the 6" embedment rule.

An earlier response also mentioned "punching" shear, which along with bearing stress on the pipe pile are more important design parameters than the embedment depth.

I agree with placing the reinforcing steel 3" above the pile termination.

Good luck.

Jay Kleven, P.E. (ND, MN, IA, NV, MT, TN, KS, IL-Civil)

Partner, Structural/Civil Engineer

EAPC Architects and Engineers

3100 DeMers Avenue, Grand Forks, ND 58201

Direct 701-775-3006

Main 701-775-5507

Fax 701-772-3605

Email jkleven(--nospam--at)eapc.net