RE: Job Opportunity - OT

I have had the dubious opportunity to work for many more companies than I'd like to admit, greatly because of the "revolving door" approach to human resources, and fierce competionion undercutting put some of them out of business.
Hands down, the greater share of those, and of the places my colleagues work, require 45-50 hours of work with no overtime pay, and no comp-time.  As stated by someone else, the "budgets" were too low and the unpaid OT was an expected way to manage them.  All of this with less compensation than most other disciplines, no or minimal bonus.  Average hourly rate easily dipped below that of a Sr. tech working the same hours w/ 1.5 OT.
50 hours is reasonable?  Not on a general basis.  Add an hour for lunch and an hour travel time, that gave me time to give my kid a hug before I left, eat dinner with him and see him to bed.
After nearly 30 years, I finally work for a stable company that values its employees.  It's not a structural firm.

>>> "Michel Blangy" <mblangy(--nospam--at)satco-inc.com> 8/22/2007 3:18 PM >>>
I worked for a firm where jobs routinely went over budget. Therefore, time spent beyond 40 hours a week was not considered OT, but rewarded to employees as "comp-time." Unfortunately, we were so busy trying to make deadlines on subsequent jobs that there never seemed time to use it. "Sweat-shop" would be a nicely-worded way of describing that place.

Michel Blangy, P.E.