Re: STUD WELDING: Ever Seen This Before?

Bill,

Yes, I have seen this before and it just happened recently on one of my projects.  The first thing is that most engineers incorrectly call out the headed studs as you have noted below.  The engineer should be more specific on their drawings and call out Nelson H4L or S3L headed studs with the appropriate sizes.  Just calling out Nelson Studs can get you any one of a dozen type of Nelson studs.  As far as welding two studs together to get the required length it will depend on how critical the embed plate is and how significantly loaded it is anticipated.  From a theoretical standpoint you are now going to develop two stress cones at two different depths which is probably impossible to calculate since this configuration probably has not been thoroughly tested.  If this is a very minor embed I would let it go.  If this is a really significant embed and highly stressed then you may want to think of having it redone.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
08/23/2007 10:13 AM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
STUD WELDING: Ever Seen This Before?

I was checking some drawings that had recently been sent to the field,
trying to finish up the calculations for the job, when I noticed that
the "designer" had specified 3/4" Dia. x 6" Long "Nelson Studs." This is
for an embed plate and should have had HEADED STUDS specified on the
details rather than designation that did appear.

Headed Studs for embed plates only go to 5/8" Dia. and can be any length
you specify. What the fabricator did was use SHEAR STUDS, which go to 1"
Dia. max and have a different head size. Also, the Shear Studs are in
fixed lengths, not variable.

To add to this, the fabricator didn't have any 6" studs, so he stuck to
4" studs together, welding one to the head of the other to make a ~8"
Dia. Stud.

Problem is, I don't know what to make of this. Is that an okay
arrangement or not? The field, of course, is ready to pour this thing
first thing in the morning, and I've got to tell them if it's okay or not.

Anyone have any opinions? Problems with "shear studs" substituted for
"headed studs"? Problems with welding the studs together?

Anybody?

Buehler?

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org