From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 10:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: STUD WELDING: Ever Seen This Before?

I was checking some drawings that had recently been sent to the field,
trying to finish up the calculations for the job, when I noticed that
the "designer" had specified 3/4" Dia. x 6" Long "Nelson Studs." This is
for an embed plate and should have had HEADED STUDS specified on the
details rather than designation that did appear.

Headed Studs for embed plates only go to 5/8" Dia. and can be any length
you specify. What the fabricator did was use SHEAR STUDS, which go to 1"

Dia. max and have a different head size. Also, the Shear Studs are in
fixed lengths, not variable.

To add to this, the fabricator didn't have any 6" studs, so he stuck to
4" studs together, welding one to the head of the other to make a ~8"
Dia. Stud.

Problem is, I don't know what to make of this. Is that an okay
arrangement or not? The field, of course, is ready to pour this thing
first thing in the morning, and I've got to tell them if it's okay or
not.

Anyone have any opinions? Problems with "shear studs" substituted for
"headed studs"? Problems with welding the studs together?

Anybody?

Buehler?