From: Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: STUD WELDING: Ever Seen This Before?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:13:25 -0500

I was checking some drawings that had recently been sent to the field, trying to finish up the calculations for the job, when I noticed that the "designer" had specified 3/4" Dia. x 6" Long "Nelson Studs." This is for an embed plate and should have had HEADED STUDS specified on the details rather than designation that did appear.

Headed Studs for embed plates only go to 5/8" Dia. and can be any length you specify. What the fabricator did was use SHEAR STUDS, which go to 1" Dia. max and have a different head size. Also, the Shear Studs are in fixed lengths, not variable.

To add to this, the fabricator didn't have any 6" studs, so he stuck to 4" studs together, welding one to the head of the other to make a ~8" Dia. Stud.

Problem is, I don't know what to make of this. Is that an okay arrangement or not? The field, of course, is ready to pour this thing first thing in the morning, and I've got to tell them if it's okay or not.

Anyone have any opinions? Problems with "shear studs" substituted for "headed studs"? Problems with welding the studs together?

Anybody?

Buehler?